SEAL OF THE TEMPLARS
Two Templars sitting on a horse one behind the other, each holding a lance and a shield.
SIGILLVM:MILITVM:XPIS TI (Seal of Christ the Soldier)
- Diameter 2,6cm
- hand stamped
- Material : Pewter
The Order of the Temple was a clerical order founded in the 12th century, whose members were called Knights Templar, Knights Templar or Knights Templar. It existed until the beginning of the 14th century.
The full name of the Order of the Templars: Poor Knighthood of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem.
Latin: Pauperes commilitones Christi templique Salomonici Hierosolymitanis
The two knights depicted on the seal, riding together on horseback with their lances and shields held out, distinguish them as knights of the Order of the Temple. The horse, with hooves raised, suggests a galloping posture. The approaches to interpreting this image are still contradictory today. There are interpretations that this is a sign of brotherhood, humility and solidarity. The Knights Templar were founded in 1188 to protect pilgrims to the Holy Land. The symbol of the Knights Templar is still known today as the red cross on a white cloak! The followers of this order took a vow of chastity, poverty, obedience and service at arms.